Monday, September 1, 2014

Hey, Siri. Teach My Kid To Ride A Bike.

Our family has had a small dilemma for the last six years, that being my youngest son who hasn't wanted to learn to ride a bike.  Now, he's nine years-old.  For one reason or another he just didn't want to learn citing that "I'm a gamer not a biker. " So, the school year began and suddenly his friends are riding their bikes and he doesn't want to be left out.  Feeling his pain, we went to Target and bought a safe beginner's bike.  Naturally, with three hours left of the long weekend, my wife asks me if I'd taken our son to teach him to ride.  I admit I became somewhat irritable and said, "This is not like vacuuming carpet every Sunday, Dear. This would be a fantastic challenge that requires much planning." And I was right.  In a little less than five minutes I got my son into gear and we headed off to the wild practicing on trails behind our house.  I said to him, "Just pedal and the rest will come naturally, son."  He listened and pedaled right into the creek.  My son had a bloody nose, bloody lip, and blood-stained shirt screaming so miles of neighborhood could hear him, including I'm sure the Department of Social Services. "This is not working for me," my son said. I needed to ask one very import question.  Does my son need me to learn to ride a bike or could Siri do it? What I was really telling myself is his mother should probably take the wheel on this one so my kid doesn't require Flight For Life.  No go.  I won the gig according to my wife and my son would be learning how to ride a bike from his father.  Ok, fine, but I was thinking me and my son could start this journey at the worst point in the creek and work from there.  Know what I mean? As long as we were in hell at the core of the earth he wouldn't have to worry about falling. That's where will start next time unless Siri has a better idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment